The benefits of green smoothies are endless and they are a great way to start your day. They are so easy to make, so if you are short on time in the morning, you can't go wrong. They are also easy to digest and packed with lots of essential vitamins and minerals, provided you include a decent amount of vegetables in your smoothie.
You may be thinking that you don't want to eat or taste vegetables first thing in the morning, but let me reassure you that the taste of the fruit overpowers the vegetables. So, why don't you give it a try? My daughter is miss fussy pants and does not like eating vegetables, but she loves green smoothies. So if she loves them, you will love them!
So here is a basic guide for preparing green smoothies:
- Choose your base (1 cup) - water (filtered preferably), coconut water or almond milk.
- Choose your greens (1 - 2 cups) - kale, baby spinach, silver beet or cos lettuce. Make sure you soak your greens in your base for at least 5 minutes.
- Choose your fruit (1-2 pieces) - banana, apple, pear, pear, pineapple, orange, mango, passionfruit or kiwi fruit (obviously go with what is seasonally available).
- Choose your super foods for that extra goodness (1-2 tablespoons) - cacao, chia seeds, flax seeds, acai, goji, spirulina, wheat grass, chlorella, raw/manuka honey or good quality protein powder.
- Add some ice and blend
Here is my current favourite:
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 Apple
- 1 Orange (Peeled)
- 1 Tbsp Flax seeds
1. Wash and prep all ingredients.
2. Chop fruit into chunks.
3. Add everything to blender and blend until smooth
4. Serve and enjoy
Ness is a qualified nutritionist, a life & wellness coach in-training, and a mother of two gorgeous and extremely energetic toddlers. She has created Becomingness, a health and wellness website, to help women achieve their health and wellness goals by providing accurate, accessible and attractive products and services that promote motivation, empowerment, self-belief and happiness. Come say hello and follow Ness on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.