My husband has been eating (almost completely) Gluten Free for over 6 years now, and the affect on his general health and wellbeing has been significant. Availability of GF food, at least here in Australia, is excellent - particularly when compared to the range just five years ago. With that said, one long-time staple of GF eating is banana bread. It's the token GF item on the menu - if you eat GF, you'll know what I mean. If you don't - ask a GF friend.
So, when I decided to bring you a banana bread recipe, I knew it needed to be a good one - and it is! I have gone one better and brought you a recipe that is dairy free too. The macadamias aren't mandatory, but they are delicious, so add them if you can!
You have probably noticed that I am rather fond of macadamia's. I have used them in many of my raw desserts including my Macadamia Chocolate Bark, Raw Peach & Macadamia Cream Tart, and my Raw Strawberry, Lemon and Macadamia Cheesecake.
Are there any specific foods that you do not eat any more that you would like me to attempt a cleaner version of? Let me know on Facebook or in the comments below.
Gluten Free Banana & Macadamia Bread
Serves - 4 - 6
- 4 medium bananas (the riper the better)
- 4 eggs
- 250 grams almond & chia seed spread (or any nut butter or spread will do)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup macadamias
- Organic butter or coconut oil for greasing
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius.
- Combine your bananas, eggs, almond & chia seed spread and coconut in a high speed blender or food processor and blend on low until mixed well.
- Add almond meal, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract and sea salt to the mixture and blend on low until mixed well.
- Add in macadamia's and stir with a spoon (do not blend!!).
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan, spreading evenly throughout.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 - 60 minutes. You can use a toothpick to check it, making sure it comes out clean.
- Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm spread with organic butter.
Ness is a qualified nutritionist, a life & wellness coach in-training, and a mother of two extremely energetic toddlers. She has created Becomingness, a health and wellness website, to help women achieve their health and wellness goals by providing accurate, accessible and attractive products and services that promote motivation, empowerment, self-belief and happiness. Come say hello and follow Ness on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.