I had some leftover quinoa in my fridge from yesterday and decided to make my Quinoa Fritters. As I was getting the ingredients ready, I realised that there was quite a bit of dairy in my recipe.
Since posting the original recipe, my husband and I have cut out dairy and I know many of you also don't eat dairy for various reasons, whether that is because you follow a paleo or vegan lifestyle or you have an dairy and/or lactose allergy or intolerance.
So, I decided to make a new version of my Quinoa Fritters and have omitted the cheese. I still wanted to have a dipping sauce, so I made up a healthy garlic aioli instead of the garlic yoghurt sauce.
I had planned to add some continental parsley, but accidentally added in coriander. Easy mistake to make when they look so similar! Anyway, the coriander and chives worked really well together, so I have kept it in the recipe below.
Quinoa Fritters with Healthy Garlic Aioli
Serves 2 - 3
- 2-4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 3 medium eggs (replace with mashed potato for vegan)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 1/4 cup of almond meal
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Healthy Garlic Aioli
- 1/2 cups blanched almonds or cashews, soaked for a minimum 4 hours
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon organic dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water, as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Mix all the fritter ingredients in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to a medium fry pan on moderate heat.
- Using a soup spoon, scoop out the fritter mixture and place in the fry pan and flatten a little. Place as many as you want in the fry pan, making sure the edges don't touch.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side, until lightly golden and drain on paper towels.
- Then repeat until you use up all the fritter mixture. You may need to add more coconut oil in between batches.
- To make the dipping sauce, place all the ingredients (except the water) in a high speed blend and blend until well combined. Then slowly add the water and blend until the garlic aioli has a nice and creamy consistency.
- Serve and enjoy.