This recipe appears today courtesy of my husband; he didn't cook it - but he did put in a special request! They turned out really nice and I thought they were worth sharing.
We recently visited our awesome friends who live in Sydney, and dropped in to Ribs and Burgers for lunch at their recommendation. They do what it says on the sign out front, and do it very well! Jason typically goes for the salad option - but had the epiphany that he'd never actually had ribs before. Apart from the sauce, the likelihood of gluten was pretty minimal, so he took the plunge.
I don't think I heard from him for about 15 minutes from the moment they hit the table...and then it was done, and he had a new contender for his favourite food. We think that the sauce might have caused him a few issues, so I made up my own version of Slow Cooker Beef Ribs - the flavours are different, but still very, very tasty!
Slow Cooker Beef Ribs
Serves 2 - 4
- 1.5 – 2 kilograms beef short ribs
- Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups beef stock (home made or organic preferred)
- 1 cup of organic tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons of organic/raw honey
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (check out my recipe HERE)
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, minced
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large fry pan on medium high heat. Add the ribs and cook for 4-5 minutes each side or until browned.
- Remove from the fry pan and place in the slow cooker.
- Pour the beef stock over the ribs.
- In a small bowl, mix the tomato paste, honey, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and ginger. Pour over the ribs
- Cook on low heat for 7-9 hours until the meat is falling off the bone.
- To serve: drizzle the sauce over the ribs and serve with your favourite greens and potato (or sweet potato) mash.
Vanessa Vickery (or Ness as she is also known) is a qualified nutritionist and a mother of two energetic toddlers. She created Becomingness, a health and wellness website, to help women achieve their health and wellness goals by providing accurate, accessible information, as well as offering valuable products and services that promote motivation, empowerment, self-belief and happiness. Come say hello and follow Ness on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.