When I first bought my slow cooker back in 2012, it stayed unused in the cupboard for more than 12 months. These days I cook with it 1-2 times per week. I am certainly making up for lost time.
Today's recipe - Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks - is a beauty.
Lamb Shanks may feature prominently on the menu of many great restaurants, but they are fairly easy to make at home, especially when using a slow cooker. You will find when using the slow cooker that the meat will be literally falling off the bone once it has finished cooking.
I have included two methods with this recipe, the first is my preferred method and involves an extra 30 minutes of prep time. The second method is perfect if you do not have time to do the prep and you basically throw everything straight into the slow cooker.
Hope you enjoy my latest slow cooker recipe.
Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks
Serves 2 - 4
- 4 french-trimmed lamb shanks (I used grass-fed organic)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tin organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock (preferably organic or home made)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- Sea salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on a large fry pan on moderate high heat and brown shanks for approximately 10 minutes, turning regularly. Place shanks in slow cooker
- Turn fry pan heat to medium and heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until softened, approximately 5 - 8 minutes
- Add tomato paste and stir through for approximately 1 minute
- Add stock, tomato and herbs and bring to the boil
- Add to the shanks in the slow cooker and cook for 6-7 hours on low heat.
- Remove the shanks and cover to keep warm. Turn the slow cooker heat to high and cook liquid, uncovered for approximately 30 - 60 minutes or until thickened slightly
- Serve and enjoy
Quick & Easy Method (great if you are short on prep time)
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper and place in the slow cooker
- Place the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve and enjoy
Ness is a qualified nutritionist, a life & wellness coach in-training, and a mother of two gorgeous and extremely energetic toddlers. She has created Becomingness, a health and wellness website, to help women achieve their health and wellness goals by providing accurate, accessible and attractive products and services that promote motivation, empowerment, self-belief and happiness. Come say hello and follow Ness on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.