It has been a cold and miserable day here in Nelson Bay, To make matters worse, I am still quite unwell. I got really sick while over in New Zealand and spent the majority of the trip resting. I missed out on skiing and most of the festivities, which I was quite upset about. My husband and children ended up getting sick as well. However, I did take some beautiful pics from the villa that we were staying in. I have to say that Queenstown is a really beautiful place and I am looking forward to going back there. Next time, I better not get sick!
So with still feeling unwell and the current state of weather being pretty miserable, I decided that I needed to make some comfort food using my slow cooker and came up with this Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe. I have to say that this meal was really yummy and super healthy. It was also really easy to make, just throw everything into the slow cooker and leave it to cook.
I am a big fan of slow cooker recipes and I especially love adapting old school recipes to more healthier versions. Check out my recipes for Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken, Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks and Slow Cooker Butter Chicken.
I hope you like enjoy my latest slow cooker recipe.
Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 1kg free range chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup chicken stock, home made or natural
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (tapioca) starch
- 1 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 2 cups pineapple, cut into chunks
- Layer the onions, carrots, broccoli and chicken in the slow cooker.
- Mix the coconut sugar, coconut aminos, chicken stock, ground ginger and garlic powder in a small bowl and pour over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for five hours.
- Mix the tapioca flour and pineapple juice in a small bowl and add to the slow cooker along with the pineapple chunks. Turn slow cooker to high and cook uncovered for 1 hour or until the liquid has thickened slightly.
- Serve on its own or with your favourite side.
Ness is a qualified nutritionist, a life & wellness coach in-training, and a mother of two extremely energetic toddlers. She has created Becomingness, a health and wellness website, to help women achieve their health and wellness goals by providing accurate, accessible and attractive products and services that promote motivation, empowerment, self-belief and happiness. Come say hello and follow Ness on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.