I am a big fan of big breakfasts and they have been my most ordered breakfast meal when dining out.
So, as part of completing the whole30 program, I decided to put together “The Becomingness Big Breakfast”, comprising of my favourite components of the big breakfasts that I have had over the years – eggs (scrambled, fried or poached), bacon, mushrooms and caramalised onions – all done in a healthy way!
I always buy good quality bacon from my local butcher and I alternate the cooking style of my eggs between fried, poached or scrambled.
For the purpose of this recipe, I will provide my scrambling method.
When I caramalise my onions, I normally use coconut sugar and coconut vinegar (balsamic style). However as you are not supposed to have any sweeteners during the whole30 program, I caramalised these ones with just the coconut vinegar.
Thankfully, the outcome was still just as good – they taste great!
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons coconut vinegar (balsamic or apple cider style)
- 2 medium mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 rashers good quality bacon
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive (or coconut) oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a medium fry pan over low heat. Add the onions, a pinch of sea sat and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point the onions should have softened, so then add the coconut vinegar and cook for a further 10 minutes. When you get to the last 5 minutes, add the tomato and mushroom.
- While the onions are cooking, heat another medium fry pan on medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from the fry pan and cover with foil. Then using the same fry pan, add 1/2 tablespoon oil and the whisked egg mixture. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, making sure that you push the egg mixture from one side of the pan to the other (in different directions), every 20-30 seconds. This will ensure that the eggs do not form an omelet instead. Once the eggs are cooked, remove from the pan.
- To serve, add the eggs, bacon, onion, tomato, mushrooms and baby spinach to a plate. Sprinkle with the parsley and season with salt and pepper.