I am totally loving having quinoa for breakfast. Breakfast quinoa is cooked the same way as you would cook rice on the stove and there are endless flavour combinations that you can have with it. One of my current favourites is apple, sultanas and walnuts.
For those of you who may not know much about Quinoa, it a grain-like crop that is low in fat and high in protein. It is technically a seed, but tastes like and is prepared like a grain - so it's agreat substitute for rice, and great for porridge! So, if you are eating a grain free, then quinoa is a great addition to your diet. When cooking quinoa, you need to ensure that you rinse it well to improve the taste, and remove any grit that may be present.
If you are keen to try another quinoa recipe, then you should try my Quinoa Fritters.
What is your favourite healthy winter breakfast? I would love for you to share in the comments below.
Breakfast Quinoa with Apple, Sultanas & Walnuts
Serves: 2-3 people
- 1 cup almond milk (or water for a nut-free version)
- ½ cup organic quinoa (rinsed)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 medium organic apple (I used macro organic apples from Woolies) diced
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 2 tablespoons chopped raw walnuts (omit for a nut free version)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Bring almond milk (or water), quinoa, salt, apples and sultanas to a boil in a medium saucepan
- Turn heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes, or until the water is fully absorbed
- Remove from heat
- Cover with a tea towel or napkin and rest for 5 minutes
- Fluff with a fork and spoon into bowls
- Add walnuts and sprinkle cinnamon