I grew up eating chicken & vegetable soup with rice and lemon, and my mum still makes it regularly. It is one of my favourite dishes of all time and is perfect during the colder months of the year. These days I don't eat much rice as I stick to clean eating or paleo. I decided to try it with quinoa instead. The great news is that it tastes just as good as Mum’s version and will now be included as part of my paleo lifestyle.
By substituting the rice with quinoa, you will add more fiber and protein to your meal. Quinoa contains all the essential amino acids and is considered a complete protein, whereas rice is not. If you are after more quinoa recipes. then check out my recipes for Quinoa Fritters, Quinoa & Chia Seed Bread and Breakfast Quinoa with Apple, Sultanas & Walnut.
What is your favourite soup? Would you consider it a healthy soup? Would you like me to try and make a healthier version of an old favourite? Let me know in the comments below
Chicken & Vegetable Soup with Quinoa and Lemon
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 onion
- 1 large potato
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 celery stems and leaves
- 1 can organic tomatoes (crushed or chopped)
- 1 litre organic chicken stock
- 1 cup organic quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 - 1 lemon, juiced
- Chop the onion, potato, carrots and celery into small to medium pieces and add to a large stockpot.
- Slice the chicken into small pieces and add to the stockpot.
- Add the tin tomatoes to the stockpot.
- Add the chicken stock to the stockpot.
- Then fill the remainder of the stockpot with water, so it is covering the ingredients.
- Place stockpot on the stove at a high temperature with the lid on and bring to the boil, then simmer, covered for a minimum of one hour.
- Add the quinoa and bring to the boil again, then simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked.
- Add the lemon juice and serve.
Note: I recommend adding the juice of 1/2 a lemon and checking the taste, before the adding the rest of the lemon.
Ness is a qualified nutritionist, a life & wellness coach in-training, and a mother of two gorgeous and extremely energetic toddlers. She has created Becomingness, a health and wellness website, to help women achieve their health and wellness goals by providing accurate, accessible and attractive products and services that promote motivation, empowerment, self-belief and happiness. Come say hello and follow Ness on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.