- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups pitted cherries
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, add the cherries, maple sugar and cardamom. Stir to combine and evenly coat the cherries.
- Place the cherries on a small, rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes, stir, then cook 5 minutes more.
- Remove the cherries from the oven and transfer the cherries and their juice into a glass container (I use this one). Slice the cherries with a knife, so they’re approximately quartered in size. Place in the refrigerator.
- Add all of the ice cream ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer the ice cream base to a covered bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. The more chilled the better.
- Pour the ice cream base into an ice cream maker and proceed according to maker directions.
- Place half of the ice cream base into a small loaf pan, then spread half of the cherry mixture on top. Add the remaining ice cream and top with the remaining cherry mixture.
- Place in the freezer and freeze for at least 3-4 hours.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before eating to more easily scoop the ice cream.