This Flourless Almond and Lemon Cake is my adaptation of a recipe I found over at Simply Recipes.
The original version used white sugar, which I changed to coconut sugar and I simplified the process a little.
It is extremely tasty and my son Joshua keeps asking for more of it.
It is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free and suitable and paleo friendly.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
- Flaked almonds for decorating
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees celcius
- Whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, coconut sugar and vanilla extract in a medium to large sized bowl. Next, whisk together the almond meal, baking powder and cardamon in a large bowl. Then add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and line square baking pan and decorate with the flaked almonds. Place into the oven for 35 minutes to cook or until an inserted skewer withdraws clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in the baking pan before slicing.Serve warm or cold.