Today, I sharing with you my Gluten Free Apple Crumble recipe from my eCookbook “BecomingSweet – Say Yes To Dessert Again”, which I released last year.
This is the perfect winter dessert, so I thought it was fitting that I share it with you today, as it has been quite cold in many parts of Australia.
As well as it being gluten free, it is also dairy and refined sugar free.
This easy to make dessert is also suitable for vegan and paleo lifestyles.
If you wanted to make it nut free, then I would simply omit the almonds and add some shredded coconut or even some coconut flakes.
It goes really well with some whipped coconut cream.
I also have a blueberry crumble with coconut whipped cream recipe that you should totally check out.
- 4 medium granny smith apples peeled, cored, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups shredded organic coconut (increase to 3 cups for for nut free version)
- 1 cup flaked raw almonds (omit for nut free version)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Add apples, lemon zest, coconut sugar, cinnamon stick and water to a medium saucepan and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the apples are tender.
- Remove apples from the saucepan and add to 4 ramekins (approximately 13cm diameter).
- In a bowl combine the shredded coconut, flaked almonds and coconut sugar and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the coconut oil to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined and the mixture is crumbly.
- Cover the apples with the crumble mixture and place into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, lightly mix the crumble mixture, cover with foil, then place back into the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve Immediately
This goes so well with coconut whipped cream.