Unlike a great many recipes that I get to share with you on Becomingness, French Toast wasn't really a meal that I grew up with - I can't recall having eaten it at all whilst growing up - but I have fond memories of it anyway!
French Toast was the breakfast of choice that Jason made me when we started spending time together. He wasn't a fantastic cook, but he was better than he let on (I soon found out after I snapped my achilles and he got lumped with the cooking duties for a couple of months). So french toast happened, and I was left wondering why I had never had it before!
The french toast recipe that I bring you today is a little different - we're a little more selective with our ingredients these days - but the key ingredients, particularly maple syrup, remain. The big difference is the bread that we used. I have made this recipe with both my Quinoa & Chia Seed Bread and Banana & Macadamia Bread, both which are gluten free. I would have to say that they are both great breads for French toast, however the banana & macadamia bread soaks up the egg mixture a little more.
Gluten Free French Toast
Serves 2 - 4
- 4 slices (1.5cm - 2cm thickness) Gluten Free Banana & Macadamia Bread or Quinoa & Chia Seed Bread
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Organic maple syrup
- Banana, sliced
- Whisk together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Heat up a fry pan on moderate heat and add the coconut oil.
- Dip both sides of the bread into the mixture then place on the fry pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Top with maple syrup and banana.
- Serve and enjoy.
Ness is a qualified nutritionist, a life & wellness coach in-training, and a mother of two extremely energetic toddlers. She has created Becomingness, a health and wellness website, to help women achieve their health and wellness goals by providing accurate, accessible and attractive products and services that promote motivation, empowerment, self-belief and happiness. Come say hello and follow Ness on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.