- 24 medjool dates, pitted
- 200 grams macadamias
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 200 grams raw hazelnuts
- 3 – 4 tablespoons cacao powder (depending on how strong you like your chocolate)
- 8 tablespoons coconut milk, canned variety
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the base, add all ingredients to a food processor and process until well mixed and the macadamias are crushed. Add mixture to a lined tin, smooth out with a spoon and place in the freezer to set.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To make the nutella layer, place the hazelnuts in a single layer on the baking tray and bake for about 5 to 8 minutes until the skins have darkened and are easy to remove.
- Rub the hazelnuts between your hands or in a tea towel to remove as much of the skins as possible. Don’t stress if you cant get all the skin off.
- Place the hazelnuts into a high-speed blender and process until they form a smooth paste. Add in all of the other ingredients and process until combined and smooth. Pour over base layer and place into freezer to set.
- Remove from the tin, slice straight away and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer (I recommend the freezer as it keeps the slice really firm).
The cook time does not include the time it takes for the raw nutella slice to freeze.