Red Lentil & Quinoa Soup is the perfect soup for winter and is packed full of healthy ingredients. I have included Thermomix method also.
Red Lentil Soup is another meal that I grew up with and if you talk to my mother, she will tell you that it was one of three soups that I absolutely loved as a kid.
The version of Red Lentil Soup that I grew up with included rice, so I have adapted it and swapped the rice with quinoa. The result I must say is amazing and not very different from the version from my childhood.
Legumes are a whole food, packed full of fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins, and are great for hearth health and digestive health.
I also have a Thermomix version, which I have included below.
PIN FOR LATER
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons organic unsalted butter (you can also use olive oil)
- 2 cups split red lentils, rinsed well
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- l litre organic or natural vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 drop cumin essential oil (or 1 tablespoon ground cumin)
- 2-3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa, cooked as per packet directions
- 2 – 3 lemons, juiced
- OPTIONAL – 1 drop lemon essential oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan on low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 10 minutes or until the onion has softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the lemon, quinoa and essential oils (if using)) and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the red lentils are falling apart.
- Blend the soup with a hand stick blender.
- Add the quinoa and essential oils to the soup and stir through.
- Add the lemon (I recommended adding the lemon slowly and tasting as you go as some people prefer it to have more lemon than others).
If using essential oils, then make sure you add them at the end of the recipe with the cooked quinoa.
- 900 grams water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 100 grams organic quinoa, rinsed
- 1 large onion, halved
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons organic unsalted butter (olive oil would also work)
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 300 grams split red lentils
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (or 1 drop cumin essential oil)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1250 grams water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock paste
- Juice of 2 – 3 lemons
- Optional – 4 drops lemon essential oil
- To cook the Quinoa, add water and salt to the mixing bowl. Next, add the rinsed quinoa and place in the rice basket and put on the lid. Cook for 20 minutes/Varoma/speed 4. Empty basket into thermoserver.
- To make the soup, first place onion and garlic into the mixing bowl and chop 3 seconds/speed 7.
- Scrape down the sides with the spatula, then add the butter and saute for 4 minutes/100C/speed 1
- Add the carrot and chop for 3 seconds/speed 7
- Add the lentils, tumeric, cumin and sea salt and cook for 1 minutes/100C/speed 1
- Add the water, stock paste and cook 30 minutes/100c/speed 1
- When cooked, add the cooked quinoa and lemon juice and stir 10 seconds/3 (reverse mode)
- Serve immediately
If using essential oils, then make sure you add them to the last step of the recipe with the cooked quinoa and lemon juice.